Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Henry's will

This is a transcription by Dick Poplin of Henry's will. The original is in the state archives in Raleigh.

Last Will and Testament of HENRY HASTINGS

In the name of God and men I HENRY HASTINGS of the County of Orange and the state of North Carolina being weak in body but sound of memory and judgement thanks be to God for his mercy do this the Tenth day of May in the year of our Lord One Thousand Eight Hundred and Twelve make and ordain this my Last Will and Testament in manner following (to wit):

My will is after all my just debts are paid, I give and bequeath to my daughter MARY HASTINGS a note upon my grandson JOHN YOUNG for fifty dollars payable 1st January One Thousand Eight Hundred and Fourteen and the date drawn 16th of April One Thousand Eight Hundred and Eleven. Also a Sorrel horse known by the name Jrimus, and a large pot and my weaving loom and instruments and a walnut table and a chest and also two iron pots racks to her heirs forever.

Item; I give and bequeath to my daughter MARGARET ADAMS one dollar to her and her heirs forever.

Item; I give and bequeath to my son - in - law THOMAS CRABTREE one dollar to him and his heirs forever.

Item; I give and bequeath to my daughter ISBELL COLLINS one dollar, to her and her heirs forever.

Item; I give and bequeath to my daughter ELIZABETH WATSON one dollar to her and her heirs forever.

Item; I give and bequeath to my daughter ESTER THOMPSON one dollar to her and her heirs forever.

Item; I give and bequeath to my son JAMES HASTINGS Forty four dollars and half currency and also a Dutch scythe and a plough share and a coulter and my long chain and also my riding saddle to him and his heirs forever.

Item; I give and bequeath to my son JOSEPH HASTINGS Forty four dollars and a quarter currency to his and his heirs forever.

Item; I give and bequeath to my son JOHN HASTINGS Forty four dollars and a quarter currency to him and his heirs forever.

Item; I give and bequeath to my son WILLIAM HASTINGS Forty four dollars and a quarter currency to him and his heirs forever.

Item; I give and bequeath to my son HENRY HASTINGS Forty four dollars and a quarter to him and his heirs forever.

Item; All the residue of my estate to be sold and all my just debts to be paid and all other necessary to be charged.

Lastly, I make and ordain my trusted and well beloved son JAMES HASTINGS executor of this my Last Will and Testament hereby revoking all former wills made by me.

In witness whereof I, the said HENRY HASTINGS have hereunto set my hand and seal the day and year above written signed in the presence of us.

HENRY HASTINGS (His X) (Seal)

No comments: