Wednesday, May 16, 2007

What does the "C" stand for?

I wish I knew. It would probably help identify Henry's ancestors.

At the time Henry was born, middle names were not always given. And when they were used, they often referred to someone else's surname -- the mother's maiden name, perhaps, or the name of a neighbor. So discovering Henry's middle name would be very useful to researchers.

The frustrating thing is that Henry had a son named Henry C., so if we knew his son's middle name, we might conclude that it's Henry's, too. But I've never found any proof of the younger Henry's middle name, or that he held himself out as Henry Junior. So the C might stand for something else.

1 comment:

Joe Moore said...

My name is Joe Moore, a distant relative of Henry C. Hastings.My great grand mother was Katie Hastings, the grand daughter of Joseph M. Hastings and great great grand daughter of Henry C. Hastings. I have a Family Tree burned in a 4' X 18" piece of plywood. It starts at Henry C. Hastings and goes to my father, Joseph Crockett Moore and it was made by Will T. Hastings, a grandson of Joseph M. Hastings. My email is joe1moore@excite.com